Commercial Activity Policy
Everett Community College is a public educational institution established to foster the arts of teaching and learning. As an adjunct to this charter, the college provides supporting services and goods on a fee basis that enhance, promote, and support the teaching and learning process.
Pursuant to state law, Everett Community College engages in providing goods, services, or facilities for a fee only when such are directly and substantially related to the educational mission of the college. Charges take into account all costs, including overhead.
This policy does not apply to the initiation of, or changes in, academic or vocational programs of instruction in the institution's regular extension, evening, or continuing education programs, or the fees therefore, fees for services provided in the practicum aspects of instruction, or research programs, and in extracurricular programs, including residence halls, food services, athletic and recreational programs, and performing arts programs.
The following criteria will be considered in providing goods, services, or facilities to students, faculty, staff and invited guests:
- Use of goods, services, or facilities must be directly related to Everett Community College's instructional or public services mission.
- Such goods, services or facilities are a necessary convenience to and support the campuscommunity, or facilitates extracurricular, or public service.
- Fees charged for goods, services, or facilities take into account all costs, including overhead.
- Security procedures are established to ensure that goods, services, or facilities are provided only to persons who are students, faculty, staff, or invited guests.
The following criteria shall be considered in regard to providing goods, services, or facilities to persons other than students, faculty, staff, and invited guests:
- Goods, services or facilities provided, substantially related to Everett Community College's instructional or public service mission and are not practically available in the private marketplace and for which there is a demand in the external community.
- Fees charged for goods, services, or facilities shall take into account all costs, including overhead.
Implementation of this policy shall be vested in deans for the areas under their authority. Before any sales project may be implemented, the proposed project shall be fully described and justified under this policy. The appropriate dean shall review the proposal, and if approval is granted, the Vice President for Administration shall be notified so that proper accounting and budgeting procedures may be developed.
All current sales programs shall be reviewed by appropriate deans for approval under this policy. Approvals shall be directed to the Vice President for Administration.
The Vice President for Administration shall resolve matters concerning the application of this policy and address questions from members of the external community concerning specific sales programs.
Adopted March, 1988