When an earthquake strikes, the motion is frightening. Keep calm, ride it out, help others. Your chances of survival are excellent if you know how to act.
During the earthquake
- If indoors, stay indoors. Crawl under sturdy furniture and hold on to it. If possible, move to an inside wall or to an inside doorway. Stay away from windows and glass.
- Do not use candles, matches, or any open flame.
- If outside, stay in the open. Keep away from buildings, trees, and electrical wires.
- If in a vehicle, stop. Stay inside until the shaking stops.
- Follow your building earthquake plan - copies are located at Campus Security office.
After the shaking
- Follow your building’s earthquake evacuation plan.
- Contact Maintenance for shut-off of all utilities. If leaks occur, report them to the office of Campus Safety. Stay out of buildings until officials indicate it is safe to return.
- Inform immediate director or supervisor of present status. Wait for instructions.
- Stay out of damaged buildings until it is determined that they are safe to re-enter.
- Be wary of aftershocks.
- Children will remain at the Early Learning Center until released to parents.