A returning student may petition the Academic Appeals and Regulations Committee for a review of his or her academic record with the intent of excluding grades earned at Everett Community College from computation of EvCC cumulative grade point averages. This policy is designed for students who had difficulties (generally characterized by grades below C or 2.0) in their early term(s), left the College, returned later and demonstrated improved academic achievement.
In order to be eligible for grade exclusion, the student must meet the following criteria:
- At least one calendar year must have passed without the student’s enrollment at EvCC.
- Grades to be excluded must have been awarded prior to the minimum year of absence.
Only exclusion of all grades in the terms prior to absence will be considered;
- petition to exclude singular courses within a term or singular terms will not be considered.
The student must demonstrate an ability to improve by completing at least 30 credit
- with a GPA of 2.5 or higher since returning to the College.
To initiate a petition for exclusion of grades
- contact Enrollment Services to obtain the appropriate form.
If the student’s petition is approved, the grades to be excluded will still appear on the student’s transcript but will not be used in calculating the grade point average. This process cannot be used to circumvent either the EvCC repeat course policy or standards of academic progress. Courses for which grades are excluded cannot be used to meet graduation requirements. Students should be aware that other institutions might not honor such grade exclusions in computing grade point averages for admission or transfer.