HB1079 - Washington In-State Tuition

Effective July 1, 2003, Washington state law changed the definition of “resident student” allowing certain students eligible for resident student status - and eligible to pay resident tuition rates when they attend public colleges or universities in this state. This bill allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates. Although, this law does make college more affordable for undocumented students, it does not make these students eligible to receive federal financial aid. In addition, the law does not make these students eligible to work legally in the United States.

Qualifications for HB1079:

  • Resided in Washington State for three (3) years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school;


  • Completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington State for the three (3) years immediately before receiving the equivalent of a diploma;


  • Continuously resided in the State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.

Download the residency affidavit for HB1079Acrobat PDF Reader Icon Bring your affidavit to Enrollment Services, Parks Student Union, room 201.