Welcome to the Everett Community College Fitness Center. We hope you enjoy your visit to this beautiful facility built, furnished, and staffed with a combination of student and staff fees and college funds. To ensure that all visitors have a safe, productive, and enjoyable time, please observe the following policies and encourage your fellow visitors to do the same.
All Fitness Center participants must have current, valid EvCC identification with them at all times. Failure to present identification will result in removal from the facility. Identification may be checked at any time by Fitness Center staff members.
- Users should stop by the Front Desk to show identification when entering the building.
- All Fitness Center users must be 16 years and older.
- Users must follow all policies for each activity area and comply with requests made by Fitness Center staff. Participants are expected to be courteous to other facility users and staff and to treat the facility and the equipment with respect. Individuals who engage in unacceptable or disruptive behavior may have their access to the facilities revoked, modified, and/or be subjected to further EvCC disciplinary action.
- Food is permitted in the juice bar area only. Non-spill plastic water bottles are permitted in work-out areas; no glass bottles are allowed in the facility.
- Chewing gum, chewing tobacco, or sunflower seeds are not permitted in the facility.
- Do not spit on the floor or in the drinking fountains.
- Closed-toe athletic footwear is required for all activity areas. No bare feet, sandals, or heeled shoes are permitted. Fitness Center staff reserve the right to judge the acceptability of footwear.
- Please be sure that your footwear is clean before entering the facility. This helps to keep the facility clean and causes less damage to the facility and equipment.
- Individuals under the influence of alcohol, illegal substances, or in possession of such substances will be asked to leave the facility. Permission to re-enter the facility may be subject to the review of Campus Safety & Security.
- Smoking is not permitted at any location on the EvCC Campus, including vehicles and parking lots.
- Profanity, abusive language, and/or unsportsmanlike behavior will not be tolerated. Persistent use of such behavior as deemed unacceptable by Fitness Center staff will result in forfeiture of utilization privileges.
- Vandalism, assault, theft, and possession of firearms are considered criminal activities and will result in immediate police action.
- Sharing identification cards for access into the building is considered forgery; this act will result in loss of privileges and confiscation of identification cards and potential legal action.
- You are not allowed to photograph or videotape individuals or images in the facilities without prior approval by Fitness Center staff.
- Fitness Center staff will provide a first response to all facility emergency situations. First Aid supplies for injuries are available at the front desk. Injuries should be reported to a staff member immediately.
- Appropriate attire, including full coverage shorts or pants (long enough to cover you while bending, stretching, and lifting) must be worn. Shirts must be worn at all times when using fitness equipment. Full length t-shirts and tank tops are acceptable. Bare midriff shirts are not acceptable. Jeans or pants that may result in damage to equipment are not acceptable. Fitness Center staff may ask you to change your clothing or not allow you access for the day if your clothing is unacceptable. All clothing should be in good taste without objectionable logos, graphics, etc.
- To protect the equipment and improve sanitation, all participants are asked to use the cleaning towels and to wipe off equipment after use. Cleaning stations are provided throughout the facility. Do not spray disinfectant directly on video or digital display panels.
- No bicycles may be parked in the facility (exception: faculty members riding their own bikes and storing them in their own offices). Adequate bicycle racks are located around the building. Personal belongings including coats, books, bags, backpacks, etc, may not be left near fitness equipment. All items should be left in the cubbies provided in the various workout areas or locked in a locker or car. Everett Community College is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Report damaged or defective equipment to Fitness Center staff immediately.
- Do not remove any signage for damaged or out of order equipment. Do not use any equipment that is labeled “out of order.”
Weight Room/Fitness Balcony Policies
- Jeans are not permitted for working out in the Weight Room. Shirts and athletic shoes must be worn at all times.
- All equipment must be used in a safe, appropriate manner. Users who abuse the equipment, use equipment inappropriately, or do not follow safe practices may be asked to leave the facility.
- Do not rest on weight machines between sets. Allow other participants to “work in” between sets.
- Limit cardio workouts to 30 minutes during peak usage times. When people are waiting, machines must be vacated to the next user at the end of 30 minutes.
- Orientation sessions are recommended for those unfamiliar with the Weight Room and/or its equipment. Check with the staff for information. If you have any questions or concerns, please inform the staff on duty.
- Proper utilization of free weights and resistance machines is required. Fitness Center staff can only provide guidance for the correct use of the equipment and machines. The staff cannot provide exercise prescription. Personal trainers are not employed by the Fitness Center. If you wish to learn more, enroll in a PEHW class.
- Do not drop weights. Return selectorized weight stacks to the starting position without slamming them down.
- Store weight plates, dumbbells, barbells, mats, and other items in their appropriate storage areas immediately after use. Failure to do so may result in revocation of Fitness Center privileges.
- Weights are not to be left on the floor or leaned against walls, mirrors, or equipment.
- Collars must be used for barbells at all times.
- Failure to follow these guidelines may result in removal from the Fitness Center and possible revocation of Fitness Center privileges. Climbing Wall policies
- All climbers are required to attend a brief orientation prior to climbing on the climbing wall.
- Water bottles are permitted in the Climbing Wall area; all other food and drink is prohibited.
- Shoes must be worn at all times in the Climbing Wall area.
- Only staff can set routes and perform maintenance.
- All personal items must be placed away from the Climbing Wall area.
- Only climb as high as you are willing to fall.
- No topping out or standing on the bouldering wall.
- Spotters are highly recommended.
- Bouldering pads are highly recommended while bouldering. It is the climber’s responsibility to position the pads for a safe landing and make sure the area is safe.
- No spiked shoes or cleats may be worn on the track.
- Track circulation direction will vary daily: clockwise on odd-numbered days, counter-clockwise on even-numbered days. This will enhance the life of the track as well as prevent overuse injuries from always traveling in the same direction. Be sure to observe the directional signs.
- Lanes on the track are designated as follows: walking on the inside lane (closest to basketball court), jogging in the middle lane, and running in the outside lane (closest to walls). Please be sure to be courteous to other users and abide by this policy.
- Do not stand or sit on the track. Leave it free for people who wish to keep moving. Sit, stand, or stretch in the corner areas.
- Locker rooms are available for all current EvCC Fitness Center users with valid ID.
- A limited number of lockers is available for check-out for use by students enrolled in PEHW classes. Lockers may be checked out at the reception desk. A checked-out locker will be assigned for the entire quarter. A lock will be provided. Students must show current EvCC ID and proof of registration in a PEHW class. At the end of the quarter, you must clean out your locker and return your unlocked lock to the reception desk by the last day of classes (before Finals start). If you drop the class before the end of the quarter, you must clean out your locker and return your lock immediately. NOTE: Lockers are extremely limited. Please do not check out a locker unless you will use it daily.
- Non-assigned lockers are available for drop-in/day use. You must bring your own lock and may use the locker while you are working out at the Fitness Center. When you are done for the day, please remove your lock and take your belongings with you. All locks not removed by 9:00 p.m. will be cut off and locker contents will be stored at the Reception Desk for seven days before they are discarded.
- The two long lockers are reserved for users with disabilities.
- Do not leave anything unattended at any time in the locker rooms. Do not leave belongings in a locker unless you have locked it. The locker rooms are not secure areas.