Is Online Study for Me?
The Medical Coding Online and Medical Transcription and Editing Program use a building-block curriculum published for Everett Community College (EvCC) by Career Step. You log on to a virtual classroom and participate via the "instructor podium" and "student forum." An online instructor facilitates the "instructor podium," guides you through the curriculum, and assists with questions or problems. The "student lounge" is a forum to chat with other students who are in the program. You will complete exercises using the Career Step online courseware. All aspects of the program are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This is NOT a self-paced program. Assignments and exercises have due dates, and each quarter starts and ends on established dates. Regular participation is essential to the learning process in the virtual learning community and counts as a portion of your grade. The program is intensive and you should anticipate spending AT LEAST 40 hours per week completing assignments for the full-time program. Extended and half-time programs are available.
You are responsible for obtaining a computer, software, and Internet connection for your studies - ideally in your home (using a computer at a public library will not provide you with enough study hours).
Intermediate computer skills are crucial to your success in this program. This includes comfort with using Microsoft Word, the ability to send attachments by email, and the ability to name, save, and retrieve files to a specific location. You must also provide an email address to the college upon registration. If you need help developing some of these skills, see our list of recommended courses.
Your computer should meet these minimum requirements:
- Active internet connection (High-speed/Broadband connection recommended)
- 800 x 600 minimum resolution (1024 x 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port
http://www.mt-training.com/demo/ old version but same general setup Choose a unit, Program Orientation
- Adobe Flash Player (version.... 10 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (version... 10 or higher) or Quicktime Player (version. 7 or higher)
- PDF reader
- Internet Explorer 7.x/8.x
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 4.x or greater (MAC only)
- Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7 with latest service pack)
- Mac OS X (10.4.11 or greater)
- 300 MHz processor (1 GHz recommended)
- 128 MB of RAM (256 MB or higher recommended
- 56 KBS modem (Broadband-DSL or cable-cable modem recommended
- Your EvCC student email account
- Microsoft Word 2000 or higher
- Current antivirus protection
Managing Time and Learning Online
Studying and learning from home on your computer may sound very intriguing, but it has its challenges. Would you like to explore what it would be like to study online before you enroll in our program? Take this FREE quick assessment.