About Our Online Program
The Medical Transcription and Editing Program is delivered entirely online through Canvas, our learning management system, and uses a building-block curriculum published for us by our academic partner, Career Step. We use Canvas as our classroom, and while you will be studying and taking some tests and completing other assignments in Career Step as indicated in the syllabi, Canvas will be the place where we actually “talk.” There will be discussion boards for each of your classes, including both questions and any potential required discussions. All aspects of the program are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This is NOT a self-paced program. Assignments and exercises have due dates, and each quarter starts and ends on established dates. Regular participation is essential to the learning process in the virtual learning community and counts as a portion of your grade. The program is intensive and you should anticipate spending AT LEAST 3 hours per credit earned per week completing assignments.
You are responsible for obtaining a PC computer, software, and a reliable high-speed Internet connection for your studies in your home (using a computer at a public library will not provide you with enough study hours).
Intermediate computer skills are crucial to your success in this program. This includes comfort with using Microsoft Word, the ability to send attachments by email, and the ability to name, save, and retrieve files to a specific location. You must also provide an email address to the college upon registration. If you need help developing some of these skills, see our list of recommended courses.
Active Internet Connection is REQUIRED
- High speed/broadband connection is recommended.
- Microsoft Windows (XP®, Vista®, 7 with latest service pack 2 or 3, 8, or 10) – Windows 8.1 is NOT COMPATIBLE and Windows 10 will require some adjustments.
- Please note that while many MT/MTE jobs will want a Windows 7 operating system, our program works fine with Windows 8 but not 8.1.
- You need to be working on or have regular access to a PC where you are able to make modifications and install software in order to complete our program. We use software that is not compatible with a Mac.
- 800 X 600 minimum resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- Sound card and speakers (Earphones recommended)
- Available USB port for the foot pedal provided to you as part of the program that you will use for transcription.
- Headphone port and headphones are strongly recommended.
- A full version of Microsoft Word 2000 or higher. (Microsoft Office 365 is now available at no cost to MTE students using their EvCC e-mail address!)
- You must be able to write and run macros.
- Stedman’s Medical Spellchecker is required; a student discount code is available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Firefox is required for some, not all, applications.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer is required for the AnyModal Edit software used in MTE 210 and 290.
- Real Audio Player (free download) for pronunciation sound files.
- Antivirus software is recommended.
- Internet Explorer 9.x, 10x, 11x
- Firefox 3.x or higher
Additional Computer Requirements
- Pop-up blocking to be disabled.
- Cookies to be enabled.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Adobe Flash Player 11.
- Current Windows Media Player or QuickTime Player.
A printer (either inkjet or laser) is optional depending on your personal leaning and working styles. Some students print many things, others print none. Should you choose to print things, we encourage black-ink only options to reduce expenses.
Managing Time and Learning Online
Studying and learning from home on your computer may sound very intriguing, but it has its challenges. Would you like to explore what it would be like to study online before you enroll in our program? Take this FREE quick assessment.