Fire 100 - Firefighter Academy 22.5 -Credits
Basic fire fighting skills include orientation and safety, introduction to the history of fire departments and today’s fire service as a career, fundamentals of fire behavior, building construction, personal protective equipment, department communication, extinguishers, water supply, fire stream, fire hose, ropes and knots, ground ladders, fire control, ventilation, rescue and extrication, loss control, fire detection, alarms and suppression systems, hazardous materials, and fire prevention/public education. Special emphasis on safety and how it relates to fire fighting. Three class sessions will be held at the North Bend Fire Academy. Live Fire training will include Burn to Learn, Search & Rescue and Flammable Liquids 4, which meets NFPA 1001. Recruits will obtain Haz-Mat Awareness and Operations certification which meets NFPA 472. Successful students will be qualified to take the state Fire Fighter I & II, Haz-Mat Awareness and Operations written and practical exams.
Prerequisites: Completion of the Medical/Respiratory application, completion of the NTN Ergometrics and CPAT test, attendance at mandatory orientation session and instructor's permission. The state written exam is taken the last week of training and the state practical exam is taken on Saturday of the last week of training. A graduation ceremony for family and friends is held the week after the practical exam.
FIRE 100 is scheduled as a 15-week evening and weekend class during Fall Quarter, and as a 12-week evening and weekend class during Spring Quarter.
Next Firefighter Academy:
- Completed Applications Due:
February 15, 2014, at 6 p.m. to Fire Science, Liberty Hall, 135
- Mandatory Orientation:
Saturday, March 29, 2014, 9 a.m., Liberty Hall, room 107
- Class dates and times for SPRING 2014:
Saturday, August 24, 2014, 9am to 5 pm, Index 101, for Mandatory EMS Training for the Fire Academy
Monday, March 31 - June 14, 2013 Fire Academy begins.
- Classes are Mondays & Wednesdays from 6-10pm, and Saturdays 7:30am- 5:30pm.
- Academy Location:
Fire District 1, Snohomish County
12425 Meridian Avenue S., Everett, Washington
Intake Process for Fire 100 - Fire Academy:
- Completion of Medical/Respiratory application and submit.
- Completion of the NTN Ergometrics and CPAT test.
- Interested candidates attend a mandatory orientation session.
- Participants register and pay class fee by 3/5 at 1800hrs.
- Participants purchase additional required supplies and equipment.
- Participants attend FIT testing session to receive gear, clothing, and books.
- Commit to 100% attendance - Mon. & Wed. (6pm-10pm) and Saturdays (7:30am-5:30pm), March 29 - June 14, 2014.