Honors - Prospective Students
How can I know whether the Honors Program is for me?
You can try it out! You may take an HON-section course. (Look for the section "HON" designation within the class listings – for example, ENGL& 102 HON). If you apply for admission to the program later on, these courses will “count” towards your Honors Program progress. Even if you decide not to apply for the Honors Program, your transcript will show that you took an Honors course. Check out our Honors Map !
How do I get started?
Before you can apply for Admission to the Honors Program, you MUST take HUM 195 HON (3 credits) & HUM 196 HON (2 credits). These two courses are the “gateway” into the program. After that, you file a short application for admission. You will be admitted as long as you finished both with a B or better, and have a GPA of 3.5 or better in all courses taken at Everett Community College.
For more information on these "Gateway" courses - HUM 195 HON and HUM 196 HON, see the Honors Program Class Offerings.
Even if you decide not to apply for the Honors Program, your transcript will reflect each of these as Honors courses.
Apply for the honors program.
After I am admitted to the program, what’s next?
You must complete an additional 20 credits of Honors courses:
- 15 credits in H-sections AND/OR Honors Contracts in 2 different DTA distribution areas (Distribution areas are Humanities, Social Sciences, & Natural Sciences)
- The 5-credit Capstone Project
What are the three types of Honors classes?
- H-section = An Honors section of an existing, high-enrollment transfer-level course. Honors students will receive a code for priority registration in these courses. After 48 hours, enrollment will be opened up to other students.
- Honors Contract = Only for students admitted to the Honors Program. Any transfer-level course can be taken for Honors credit by arrangement between a student and an instructor. To initiate an Honors Contract in a course you’re taking, you would first find out if the instructor is willing, and then write up a proposal/contract to be approved by the Honors Director. If approved and successfully completed, the word “Honors” will be inserted into the course title on your transcript.
- Honors Capstone Project = Only for students admitted to the Honors Program.
A directed independent study for 5-credits, the project may be spread across 1-3 quarters. To initiate an Honors Capstone Project, you would first find out if an instructor is willing, and then write up a proposal/contract to be approved by the Honors Director. This project would complete the academic portfolio you first created in HUM 195 HON.
How do these Honors courses fit into my Direct Transfer Degree? Will it take me longer to graduate?
By careful design, you can make each Honors course fit into your degree requirements and major emphasis. When you are formally admitted to the program, we will assist you in making that happen smoothly.
How do I finish?
Once you have met the program requirements just described, including an EVCC GPA of 3.5 or better, you apply for designation as an Honors Program Graduate. That achievement will be noted on your transcript.