Frequently Asked Questions - Benefits

What are benefits?

Benefits include (but are not necessarily limited to): medical/dental, retirement, medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), life insurance, and long-term disability.

Benefits Overview

What are the benefits that EvCC offers?

For medical/dental plan details, please see the Employee Enrollment Guide(not yet available for 2018 through PEBB). Acrobat PDF Reader Icon

How do I know if I qualify to receive benefits?

As a classified, administrative/exempt, or full-time faculty member at EvCC, you are eligible for medical and dental coverage, life insurance, and long-term disability insurance. You have the option to enroll in a medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) with the traditional medical plans or the Health Savings Account (HSA) with the Consumer Directed Health Plans (CDHP). If you are a part-time faculty member, please review the Part-Time Faculty Benefits Eligibility Notification Form Acrobat PDF Reader Icon for more information on eligibility for benefits. If you do not wish to enroll in benefits, the 2018 Employee Enrollment/ Change Form is still required. To waive medical, select the option "waive," with current date. Enrolling in dental benefits is not optional as it is provided at no cost to the employee.

Do I have to enroll in the benefits offered at EvCC if I am employed here?

You are not required to enroll in all benefits offered at EvCC; medical coverage can be waived. However, you must enroll in dental, basic life insurance, and long term disability. The Employee Medical and Dental Enrollment/Change Form Acrobat PDF Reader Icon must be completed and returned even if you choose not to enroll in medical benefits. All forms must be returned to HR within 31 days of your eligibility date, except life insurance, which has a window of 60 days.

Is there more than one medical plan I can choose from?

Yes, there are several different plans you can choose from. You must fill out the Employee Enrollment/ Change form. PEBB regulations require that you be defaulted into Uniform Medical and Dental plans if you fail to return the medical/ dental forms within 31 days. Here is an online comparison of the plans and their benefits. External Site Link 

How much will it cost to enroll in a benefits package?

Please see the rate sheet for the variety of plans offered and corresponding rates. Acrobat PDF Reader Icon

What is a CDHP?

A CDHP is a Consumer-Directed Health Plan. CDHPs are a type of insurance plan that has a higher deductible, higher annual out-of-pocket maximum, and a lower monthly premium. Follow this link for details and information on the CDHPs offered. External Site Link (You must select which plan's CDHP you are interested in, and scroll down to all available options.)

Where do I start? What are my first steps to elect coverage?

Step 1 - You've received benefits eligibility notification.
Step 2 - Fill out the 2018 Employee for Medical and Dental Enrollment/ Change Form.Acrobat PDF Reader Icon
Step 3 - Choose the plan(s) you want to enroll in. (More information on plans available here External Site Link).
Step 4 - Turn in all forms and documents to the HR Department. If you have questions, schedule an appointment to discuss your concerns.

What do I do if I don't want to enroll in medical/ dental benefits?

The 2018 Employee Enrollment/Change Form is required, even if you do not wish to enroll in medical. To waive medical, select the option "waive," with current date. Enrolling in dental benefits is not optional, as they are at no cost to the employee.

How do I add a spouse or children to my medical/ dental coverage?

During initial eligibility, you may add any dependent. If it is not initial eligibility, you may only add/ remove during open enrollment or a qualifying event. See WAC 182-08-198 External Site Link.

Follow this link to find out who qualifies as a dependent. External Site Link

In order to enroll a spouse or child in medical and/ or dental coverage, you must provide one of the following documents:

  • Page 1 of the prior year's tax federal tax return that includes the child as a dependent and listed as son or daughter,
  • Copy of a birth certificate,
  • Copy of a certificate or decree of adoption,
  • Copy of a court-ordered parenting plan,
  • Copy of a Qualified Medical Support Order,
  • Or a copy of Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) registration.

Please see the PEBB website for further information and specific details on Required Dependent Verification External Site Link 

What do I need to fill out for covering a qualified/ Washington-State-registered domestic partner and/ or their children?

A Declaration of Tax Status form Acrobat PDF Reader Icon is required. Also, you must fill out the Required Enrollment Form. Acrobat PDF Reader Icon 

Where can I sign up for Short Term Disability?

EvCC does not offer Short Term Disability.

What is Long Term Disability?

The Long term Disability booklet Acrobat PDF Reader Icon (2018 booklet not yet available through PEBB), is a helpful guide to answer any questions you may have about LTD. Also, you'll have to fill out the Required Enrollment Form.External Site Link (Scroll down to "Long-term disability," and click the "Long-Term Disability Enrollment/ Change link).  Please note that there is a 90-day waiting period for Basic Disability. For more information on Long Term Disability, please visit the LTD page on the PEBB website. External Site Link

What kind of Life Insurance does EvCC provide? How do I change my Life Insurance coverage?

Voya is the provider for life insurance. All benefit-eligible employees are provided with $25,000 Basic Life Insurance for death from any cause & $5,000 Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) at no charge in life insurance at no cost. Optional supplemental insurance is available to you and your spouse/ domestic partner as well as dependents. Follow this link to review the premium costs for supplemental costs External Site Link You may elect to change your life insurance at any time during the year. Submit the Life and AD&D Insurance Enrollment/ Change Form External Site Link to HR.