Thank you to those who attended the 2nd Annual EvCC Mentoring Conference!
The EvCC Mentoring Conference is a full day of speakers and workshops focused on sharing best practices, bright ideas and both individual and institutional experiences with mentoring. The day will begin with the keynote address Mentoring to Increase Cultural Intelligence by Dr. Brandy Brown, Assistant Professor and Program Director of Organizational Leadership at the University of Arizona. Throughout the rest of the conference, participants will be able to choose from a variety of 45 minute breakout sessions emphasizing the themes of inclusion and equity, mentoring models, innovation and experimentation, mentoring students, and mentoring employees. The presenters come from large and small colleges and universities in Washington and Oregon. This is a rare opportunity to build networks and share ideas with colleagues involved in mentoring across our region.
- Session 1: Leaning In - Mentoring for Women (Panel Discussion) - Margaret Balachowski, Nina Benedetti, Katie Jensen, Katherine Schiffner (EvCC)
- Session 1: Unlocking the Power of CQ in Mentoring: Preparing Mentors for Inculsion - Dr. Brandy A. Brown (University of Arizona South)
- Session 1: Mentoring Inspired Supervision: A Model of Connected Experimental Learning - Vivienne McClendon, Becky Turnbull and Larry Boykin (Bellevue College)
- Session 1: Mentoring for BHAGs: Help Yourself and Others Achieve Big, Hairy Audacious Goals! - Stacey Fullwiler (Seattle University)
- Session 2: Mentorship for Faculty of Color - Karen Bolton (Olympic College) and Latoya Reid (Tacoma Community College)
- Session 2: Beyond Yoda and Luke: An Alternative Faculty Mentoring Model - Martin Cockraft, Barbara Parker, Shannon Potter, Dan Roth (Olympic College)
- Session 2: Creating a Culture of Innovation One Mentee at a Time - Elliot Stern (Lake Washington Institute of Technology)
- Session 2: Get that Group Going! Mentoring Tools for Teams - Jeanne Leader (EvCC)
- Session 3: Enaging the Reluctant Mentee - Tina Evans, Lynne Munoz, Andrea Wells-Edwards (EvCC)
- Session 3: Student Initiated Mentoring: Engaging the Network - Juergen Kneifel (EvCC)
- Session 3: Reflective Practices in Mentor/ Mentee Relationships - Michelle Barnes (EvCC)
- Session 3: The 4 Connections: Building Relationships that Empower and Renew - Sally Heilstedt and Elisa Parrett (Lake Washington Institute of Technology)
- Session 3: Self-Mentoring: High Impact Practices - Jennifer Whetham, SBCTC and Bob Mohrbacher, Centralia Community College
- Session 3: The EvCC Group Mentoring Program: The Easy and Hard Parts of Implementing a Program (Panel Discussion) Kathryn Johnson, Jeanne Leader, Sharon Lewis and Alanna Yang (EvCC)
- Session 4: Leadership on Tap - Unleashing the Power of Peer Mentors - Mary Butcher, Seth Deister, Erica Swenson (Green River College)
- Session 4: A Guide by my Side: Reflections on Mentoring Throughout a Career - Sandra Fowler-Hill (Portland Community College)
- Session 4: The Power of Staff Mentoring - Robert Britten (Pierce College)
- Session 4: Stress Management as a Tool for Effective Learning and Demonstration of Knowledge: Instructors/ Counselors/ Tutors as Student Mentors - Andrea Levy (Seattle Central College)
The Disruptive Innovators created another wonderful experience this year! The Plenary Speaker was Brandy Brown, PhD. Brandy is an Assistant Professor and Program Director in the Organizational Leadership program at UA.
Over 150 attendees came to the 2nd Annual EvCC Mentoring Conference. More than 20 different institutions were represented at the conference, including 18 of our Community & Technical Colleges, a university and 5 other institutions.