|En Español||Українською мовою||На русском языке|
See this list for ways to take action to create a campus culture of respect, advocacy, and engagement for all.
Message from Everett Community College President David Beyer
Nov. 30, 2016
Dear Campus Community,
Soon after the presidential election, I reached out to students to listen to their experiences, anxieties and vulnerabilities about their immigration status and apprehension about their future at Everett Community College. I plan to continue these conversations and will work with the leadership to advocate, inform, and improve upon the work we are doing to serve our students well.
It is important to note that over the years, Everett Community College has taken deliberate steps to recruit and support undocumented students in a number of ways. Most significant is the work of the Dreamers Task Force, a team that has led an institution-wide, grassroots effort to identify and eliminate barriers in our system for serving undocumented students.
Created in fall of 2014, its purpose is to:
- Increase gains in educational and career pathways for undocumented students
- Identify inequities and address barriers to access
- Focus on the dignity and fair treatment of immigrant youth and families, regardless of immigration status
Their work has resulted in an extensive list of accomplishments. Below are some examples:
- Immediate integration of WASFA into the financial aid process and awarding process
- Implemented state work-study for eligible DREAMers, effective Fall 2015
- Provided gap funding for WASFA-eligible students to meet full cost of tuition
- Implemented College Bound and Opportunity Grant for WASFA and DACA DREAMers
- Created the DREAMers Success Project
- Developed and provided trainings campus-wide and at the state and national level
- Hosted the HB 1079 Conference -first ever at a community college with over 400 attendees
- Earned national recognition through United We Dream
- Collaborated with EvCC Leadership Academy to create a Program Roadblock Map & webpage
- Created an undocumented student website
- Incorporated WASFA into transitional studies orientation and in-person orientations
- Developed Spanish and Russian language materials
- Created ‘Noche Entre Familia’ – College Information Night held completely in Spanish
EvCC is committed to fostering a learning community that is safe and welcoming for all of our students, regardless of immigration status. We will continue to build on the longstanding support and care of our undocumented students.
In this spirit, I am pleased to join educational leaders throughout the nation as a signatory to the Statement in Support of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Program and our Undocumented Immigrant Students led by Pomona College in California.
Thank you for joining me in creating a campus that lives up to our highest principles.
President, Everett Community College
Everett Community College Board of Trustees 2016 Post-Election Statement
Nov. 15, 2016
As we move through the completion of this election season, we are reminded of the increasingly critical role that education plays for our country today. Regardless of where we stand politically, advancing knowledge is our shared path to a prosperous future.
At this time in history, when our communities are confronted with a national climate of division and rhetoric of intolerance, we, the Board of Trustees and President of Everett Community College, reaffirm our resolute commitment to an open, equitable and safe educational experience for all members of our campus community.
Together, we promote and hold firm to the following:
- We affirm the inherent worth, dignity and uniqueness of every individual.
- We uphold a just, equitable and inclusive community.
- We value critical inquiry, debate, discovery and innovation in our classrooms and workplace.
- We value freedom of speech within an environment of civility and respect for varied opinions and beliefs.
- We hold zero tolerance for discrimination, threats, hate or violence.
Finally, we are unwavering in our commitment to upholding the vision, mission and core values of Everett Community College within a campus culture of respect, advocacy and engagement for all.
Everett Community College Board of Trustees
Bob Bolerjack, Chair
Dr. Betty Cobbs
Mike Deller, Vice Chair
Everett Community College President David Beyer