High School Completion FAQS

I have a question!

Please read these frequently asked questions about the Adult High School Programs at Everett Community College before you come to your appointment with an advisor.

If you are part of the EvCC International Student Program, attended high school outside the United States, or are not currently a citizen, you will find more information here.

What is the Adult High School Program?

The Adult High School Program is three different programs for students to complete classes or competency-based work for a high school diploma that meets the minimum requirements for the State of Washington. The diploma is granted by Everett Community College and is recognized just like a diploma issued by any accredited, (official), high school in Washington.

How do I apply for the High School Completion Program?

  1. Contact any high schools you have attended and request an official, sealed copy of your transcripts (the records of the classes you took and your grades). All high schools in the United States are required by Federal Law to keep your transcripts on file for 75 years. Once you have the transcripts in hand, then...
  2. Make an appointment with one of our High School Completion Advisors. Call 425-388-9339 or e-mail hsc@everettcc.edu to set that up or if you prefer to set upan appointment, click here.
  3. If you have not applied or attended Everett Community College, you must apply online for admission. Your acceptance email or letter will include your student identification number and pin.

If you have an unofficial copy of your transcripts, you could bring that to your advising appointment, but an official transcript is required before a diploma can be awarded.

Classes completed in grades nine through twelve may count toward the credits needed for a high school diploma. State test results are required if you would have graduated in the class of 2008 or after and are under the age of 21. When you request your transcripts, be sure to ask for your transcripts to include results from those tests (example: HSPE/EOC or Smarter Balance for Washington State Students).

If you are under the age of 21, you should ask to make sure all state tests are listed on your transcript. If they are not, ask the high school to include those test results when they send you your transcripts. If you have completed a Washington State History class any time from grade seven to twelve, ask to make sure your transcript shows that completion.

What are the requirements for a high school diploma through Everett Community College?

The High School Completion Program at Everett Community College follows the minimum requirements for obtaining your diploma set by The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).

  • Earn high school credit
  • Number of credits required is set by state law and are dependent on your class year.
  • If you are under the age of 21, you will also be required to complete any state testing requirements and the High School and Beyond Plan.

Credits and requirement vary by graduating class year. An advisor will discuss this with you at your first appointment.

During your first quarter in attendance, you will want to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor to create an academic plan. During this meeting, you and your advisor will work together to make a quarter-by-quarter plan so that you will know exactly how long it will take you to earn your diploma.

During your final quarter in the High School Completion Program, you will want to come in to complete a diploma application. At that meeting, an advisor will review all classes taken to ensure that you have fulfilled all requirements to graduate.

Am I too old to earn a high school diploma? Isn’t my only option a GED?

No, if you are 16 or older you are eligible for the Adult High School Completion Program. The average age of students in HSC classes is 22, but there are students in their thirties, forties, and older in our program too.

If you are 21 or older, you may qualify for the competency-based High School 21 program. Be sure to read the information about each of these programs and make an appointment to talk to one of our High School Completion Advisors to decide which one is best for you.

How many classes do I have to take to get my diploma?

It depends on how many credits you have already earned at your previous high schools as well as what class year you would have been. We cannot tell you for sure until you come in, speak with one of our advisors, and have your high school transcripts evaluated. For example, if you completed grade nine, it may take about five to six quarters to finish your high school diploma. If you completed grade ten or eleven, it could take three to five quarters, and if you completed most of the twelfth grade, you might be able to finish in one or two quarters.

If you qualify for the High School 21 program, the amount of time it will take for you to earn your diploma will depend on how well you can show proof of competency in the subject areas required. HS21 students must also meet the Washington State History requirement.

How do I know what classes to take?

That’s part of what you’ll decide when you meet with a High School Completion Advisor. They will evaluate your transcripts, help you decide which program is right for you, and determine which classes you will need to complete your diploma.

How much will it cost me?

Different programs have different costs. Tuition is the amount a student pays to take a class. There are also college fees and textbooks to buy. Students are responsible for all these costs.

If you are 19 years of age and are a Washington State resident, you may be eligible for a tuition discount. Your advisor will discuss this with you.

Click on this link for information about tuition rates. Everett Community College tuition information

High School Completion/High School 21
Most of the courses you will take will be in our Transitional Studies department. Any courses that are labeled "TS" are $25.00 per quarter. For any "non-TS" courses, the cost is the normal, full tuition price (approximately $550.00 per class). Students 19 years of age and older may qualify for a tuition discount of 75% off for any "non-TS" classes.

Youth Re-Engagement (U3)
U3 is special program for students who have recently stopped attending traditional high school. This program required full-time attendance and for students to be between the ages of 16 and 21. There are other specific requirements to qualify for this program. If you qualify, tuition and books are free of charge. Look at the web page for the U3 Program for more specific information.

What are some of the benefits of the High School Completion program?

HSC students 19 and older may receive a tuition waiver for classes they need to obtain their high school diploma. On average, a HSC student enrolled full-time (15 credits) would pay about $375.00 a quarter for tuition instead of the regular college tuition of about $1,500.00.

You might take classes that apply toward your high school diploma and college classes at the same time! For example, if you take computer classes, some of them may apply towards the math, science, or elective requirements for a high school diploma and towards an Electronics degree. Another example: if you need a United States History credit, you can take one of the High School Completion program U.S. History classes or, if you are academically ready, a college level U.S. History class that would count toward both your High School Diploma and your college degree as well.

What is the GED?

The GED (General Education Development) Test certifies the taker has high school level academic skills in language arts, social studies, science and math. Everett Community College offers GED preparation classes to help people build their skills and test with confidence. The GED test can be taken at Everett Community College. If you are interested in taking prep classes, contact 425-388-9339 or go to the GED page for more information.

Which is better, a High School Diploma or the GED?

There is no right answer to this question. Things to consider when making that choice are your academic skills, how much time you have to complete a high school diploma or a GED, and what your goals are in life. Either option can be the right one. This is a good question to discuss with a High School Completion Advisor.

Do I need a high school diploma or GED to go to college?

No, you don’t need a high school diploma or GED to take classes at Everett Community College. Anyone 18 years and over can take classes such as Art, Music, or PE. However, if you want to earn a college degree or certificate, in most career programs you will need to take an English, Math, and Reading placement exam called the COMPASS. Your scores on the COMPASS will help determine where you need to start to be successful in whatever program you choose. One of the requirements for Federal Financial Aid is a GED or High School Diploma.

Do I have to take the ACCUPLACER to be in the High School Completion Program?

ACCUPLACER has replaced the COMPASS Test. The ACCUPLACER test is the placement exam used for college level classes. So, you might not necessarily be required to take it. If you plan to take college level courses while in our program, then you most likely will be required to take this college placement test before you can enter into those courses. For information on the college placement tests or the GED test,please contact the college Testing Center at 425-388-9288.

What is CASAS?

CASAS stands for Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems. You may be asked to take a CASAS test while in our program. The CASAS test is similar to the COMPASS test (described above). However, the CASAS test is designed to figure out what level you need to start within basic skills. It shows your reading, writing, and math skills at pre-college levels. Students in the HS21 program are required to take the CASAS test.

Can I bring my child/children with me to my appointment?

We take your education seriously and the appointments are designed to focus on you. Please do not bring your child/children with you to your appointment. This effort is simply to help you learn the pathway options you have and get the most out of your time with us.

I want to go on to college or a training program, but I don’t have any money. Do I need to have a high school diploma to apply for Financial Aid?

As of July 1, 2012, one of the minimum requirements for federal money to pay for college or training programs includes having a high school diploma or a GED. The High School Completion advisors are not experts in this area. For accurate, up to date information, contact the EvCC Financial Aid office by email or call 425-388-9280.

Can I start in one program and then switch to another?

In general, it is good to finish the program you start so you don’t have to go through a second evaluation process. If you qualify for and start in the HS21 program, you will need to finish in that program.

Do I need to be a citizen to be in the High School Completion program?

No, you don’t need to be a citizen. However, if you are in the United States with an F, M, H, J, L, TD, TN or B visa, you need to contact the International Student Services office at 425-388-9220 for information about admissions to Everett Community College.

International Students

Find more information for high school completion for international students.