Transfer Credit Options

This page describes what types of credentials we evaluate, how we evaluate them, how transfer credit may be used toward our certificates and degrees, and how to transfer to a university. You may review the entire text, or select a topic:

Overview Request an evaluation Acrobat PDF Reader Icon
Military Training AP, CLEP and IB credit
Transferring to another university or college Professional certificates and training
Credit for experiential learning (PLA) Transfer credit from US institutions
Non-accredited institutions Foreign Transcripts

Prospective and current students must be aware that some of EvCC's policies and practices may be different than those of other colleges and universities. If you are planning to transfer to another college or university, it is IMPORTANT that you check with an advisor at that institution to determine your transfer status.

Early planning is necessary if you desire an evaluation of your previous coursework for advising or financial aid purposes, or if you are seeking transfer information from or to another college. To request a credit evaluation of previous coursework that you have completed, you must complete and submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request FormAcrobat PDF Reader Icon

What Types of Previous Coursework and Experience May Count Toward an EvCC Degree?

EvCC considers credit from the following sources, in descending order to applicability:

  1. EvCC's credit courses, including Tech Prep, College in the High School, and course challenge.
  2. Regionally accredited colleges and universities.
  3. Recognized colleges or universities outside of the U.S.
  4. Military training.
  5. AP, CLEP and IB.
  6. Nationally accredited post-secondary institutions.
  7. Certificates and training programs conducted within business, industry or agency environments.
  8. Portfolio evaluation of prior learning (PEP)

Please direct your questions to Wendy Wong, Credential Evaluator, in the Enrollment Services Office, Parks Student Union, Room 201 at

1. EVCC Credit

Credit earned through EvCC courses are the first source of credit used to meet the requirements of EvCC certificates and degrees. This includes credit under our Tech Prep and College in the High School programs and some other articulated programs. EvCC also provides the opportunity to challenge EvCC courses for those students who demonstrate that they have the knowledge and skills equivalent to a course. EvCC credit is generally the most easily applicable to certificate degree requirements.

2. Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities

An official credit evaluation is done based on an official transcript from each institution you may have previously attended. (An unofficial evaluation may be done based on unofficial transcripts, but will not be noted on your record.) Generally, the following limits are observed:

  1. Only lower division (first and second year) coursework completed at that institution will be considered.
  2. Subject matter may not duplicate credit previously awarded in transfer, or at EvCC.
  3. Credit is not granted for religion or theology courses that are sectarian in nature.
  4. In some cases, credits may not be considered if older than 5 years. For example, science courses for special programs or as pre-requisites.
  5. Some programs may only accept courses where a C or better is earned.

Credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities may be applied toward any of our certificates and degrees, meeting either requirements or electives, at the discretion of the credential evaluator and/or program advisor.

Washington's community and technical colleges offer reciprocity to students transferring within the state's system, who are pursuing a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) degree. Students who complete distribution requirements for a degree at one college will have met those same requirements for the same degree if they transfer to another community or technical college in Washington State.

Students must initiate the review process and be prepared to provide necessary documentation. Acrobat PDF Reader Icon Please note: this should only occur after an initial credit evaluation has been completed and if there remains some question as to the applicability of transfer courses. For complete information, students should contact Enrollment Services.

3. Recognized Colleges and Universities Outside of the U.S.

EvCC utilizes guidelines suggested by the National Council for Foreign Credential Evaluation in accepting and applying credit from non-US institutions.

Contact Wendy Wong, Credential Evaluator at for more information for international credential evaluation. Students must provide their official credentials and an evaluation of those credentials from an approved foreign evaluation agency. Download for more information on credentials and evaluationAcrobat PDF Reader Icon

Credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities may be applied toward any of our certificates and degrees, meeting either requirements or electives, at the discretion of the credential evaluator and/or program advisor.

4. Military Training

EvCC follows recommendations made by the American Council on Education when evaluating military training and education records. Please submit the appropriate record for evaluation. Each branch of the military has a different service center holding your training and education records. Upon written request by you, they will send a copy to us. The Enrollment Services Office has a list of the locations where you may write for a copy of your record. Active Duty and Reserve Sailors and Marines, and Sailors and Marines who separated or retired after October 1, 1999, may request their SMART record by going to External Site Link or find the form available through EvCC's Enrollment Services Office, or go to the Navy College Center on Marine View Drive in Everett.

A maximum of 60 credits for military training and education may be applied toward our certificates, Associate in Technical Arts, Associate in Fine Arts and Associate in Arts and Science – Option I as meeting requirements. A maximum of 60 ungraded credits may be applied toward the Associate in General Studies. For the associate degrees desinated as university transfer, military credit, with the exception of limited Physical Education credit, is applicable only as "B" list electives.

5. AP, CLEP and IB (Advanced Placement Program, College Level Exam Program and International Baccalaureate)

EvCC's faculty have reviewed the AP, CLEP and IB programs, and established the score that must be earned (or higher) in order to earn credit. View the list of acceptable AP and CLEP exams.

A maximum of 60 AP, CLEP and IB credits may be applied toward several of our degrees, meeting either requirements or electives, at the discretion of the credential evaluator and/or program advisor. In the case of the associate degrees designated as university transfer degrees, AP and IB credit may be accepted as general education requirements or "A" list electives. CLEP credit is only accepted as "B" list electives.

6. Nationally Accredited Schools

Transcripts from schools which are not regionally accredited, but are accredited by national agencies such as the Accrediting Commission on Independent Colleges and Schools, the Accrediting Commission on Trade and Technical Schools, Distance Education and Training Council and the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges, may be reviewed and considered for credit. In such cases, we ask that you please supply us with a copy of the catalog and course descriptions as well as an official transcript; additional course descriptions may be requested. Generally, courses which are similar to those offered at EvCC may be considered.

A maximum of 60 credits for courses completed at nationally-accredited post-secondary schools may be applied toward our certificates, Associate in Technical Arts, Associate in General Studies, Associate in Fine Arts and Associate in Arts and Science – Option I degrees as meeting either requirements or electives. Credit is applicable only to the "B" list electives (15 credits) for the Associate in Arts and Science – DTA and Associate in Business, and may not be used in the Associate of Science degree.

7. Certificates and Training Programs Conducted within Business and Training Environments

Educational and training experiences that occur through company training programs or through professional institutes may be reviewed for credit. Types of training can vary widely, for example: management, police, fire, manufacturing, apprenticeship, and aviation. To have your training reviewed you must submit official and/or original records, as well as supporting documentation that includes the following: content, level, time period, hours, location, method of instruction, instructors, method of evaluation and achievement. Since training programs do not generally yield a transcript that contains all of this material, it is your responsibility to gather as much information as possible and submit it. In some cases, certificates (such as APICS, WA State Criminal Justice Commission, and A&P) may be submitted. EvCC's evaluation process relies on information that supports an evaluation that the training or certificate is comparable to college-level programs; faculty evaluate the documentation to determine the comparability. The fee for the evaluation of these documents is $30, and the process demands extensive documentation from the student. (Fees are subject to change)

A maximum of 60 credits for training and certificate programs schools may be applied toward our certificates, Associate in Technical Arts, Associate in Fine Arts and Associate in Arts and Science – Option I degrees as meeting either requirements or electives. Credit is applicable only to the “B” list electives (15 credits) for the Associate in Arts and Science – DTA and Associate in Business, and may not be used in the Associate of Science degree. A maximum of 45 credits may be used toward the Associate in General Studies.

8. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

EvCC has three forms of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA): Course Challenge, Professional Certificate Review, and Portfolio Evaluation.

Course Challenge: ($215) Students who have significant learning from training programs or life experience may find it more expedient to consider course challenge. For more information, contact our Credit Evaluators in Enrollment Services.

Approved Certificates and Training Programs: ($35) EvCC has reviewed certain professional programs which are recognized regionally/nationally. These include: Para-professional Education Experience, A&P Licenses, APICS, Fire Fighting Certificates, Dept. of Justice Training Certificates, WA State Criminal Justice Commission and Emergency Management Training (EMT) Certificates. Clear criteria have been established for assigning credits for those programs. There is a $30 fee to transcribe those credits. For university transfer degrees, these credits are applicable only as "B" list electives (15 credit maximum). For EvCC's non-transfer programs (Associate in Technical Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, Associate in Arts and Science - Option I): A maximum of 60 credits may be used to meet program requirements or electives. For an Associate in General Studies: A maximum of 45 ungraded credits may be applied. Please be aware that some other colleges and universities not accept these credits.

Portfolio Review ($100 base fee + $25 for each credit you wish to pursue, whether awarded or not. Example: 5 credits=$225). Through a Portfolio review, you may be able to receive college credit for knowledge you have gained outside an accredited higher education institution. This can include (but is not limited to, previous experiences as an employee, business owner, information technology or computer specialist, management, manufacturing, apprenticeships, skilled volunteer or hobbyist. These experiences may have taught you skills which are comparable or equivalent to credited courses offered at EvCC. This is a complex process that can require the student to document a great deal of information. Contact a Credential Evaluator for more information about this process.

To start the PLA process contact Wendy Wong, Credential Evaluator, in Enrollment Services at, or 425-388-9015, and ask about PLA. Fees are charged for participation in this program.

Note, in some cases students who have significant learning from training programs or life experience may find it more expedient to consider course challenges. Please ask about what the best option is for you.

EvCC Certificate and Degree Requirements

You can review our curriculum guides online to view the specific requirements for our various certificate and degree programs, or view the information about applying to graduate from EvCC.

At least 90 credits must be earned toward an Associate degree. Required credits for a certificate vary. For a degree, at least 30 credits must be earned as EvCC credit, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. EvCC credit is earned through one of the following ways:

  • Satisfactory completion of regular college-credit courses listed in our class schedule, including College in the High School, and excluding Adult Basic Education classes, ESL, GED, and non-credit courses.
  • Course challenge. (See the College Catalog for procedures.)
  • Articulated credit, for example, TechPrep.
  • Each degree and certificate has specific course requirements, and may also require minimum course grades. See the College Catalog and specific curriculum guides for more certificate and degree information.

How to Request a Credit Evaluation

The Enrollment Services Office provides written transcript evaluations for admitted students who wish to apply previously earned credits toward an EvCC certificate or degree. A Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form Acrobat PDF Reader Icon is available online or from Enrollment Services. Complete the form and attach your official records/transcripts, or assure that your official records/transcripts are already on file in the Enrollment Services Office. Please note, official records/transcripts must be sealed in their original envelope.

  • Use this form for credit evaluation of other colleges and universities, AP and CLEP scores, military training, and training from business, industry or agency.
  • The portfolio evaluation program (PLA) has a different application process, contact Wendy Wong in Enrollment Services.
  • Students requesting evaluation of training (see item 7 above) must pay a non-refundable fee of $30 when submitting the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form Acrobat PDF Reader Icon and the attached documentation. One or more training documents may be attached to the form. (This fee is subject to change.)
  • Typically, credit evaluations take about 3 - 6 weeks to process, longer if the proper documents are not submitted initially. Please act early.

If credit is awarded, these credits will be listed on the lower portion of your EvCC transcript. The transfer credits will be grouped as a numeric figure and will be identified by the origin of said credits. Please note, that credits earned and transferred to EvCC will never become official EvCC classes. Classes and credit earned at other institutions will always remain classes and credit at the originating institution, only the numeric figure and institution of transfer will appear on your EvCC transcript.

Transferring from EvCC to a University

If you are planning to transfer, make sure you speak with an advisor. Our Advisors can assist you with planning and will work to make your transition a smooth one. No matter which college or university you are considering, you can benefit from the wise choices you make while attending EvCC.

Each university will make the final decision on what courses they will accept from EvCC. Most courses numbered 100 or above will be considered transferable as meeting either requirements or electives, though some specialized vocational courses may not be accepted. In some cases, courses with a grade lower than a C will not be accepted. Generally other colleges and universities do not accept transfer credit that we have accepted, since they want to review it or reject it under their own policies.

If you transfer with the AAS-DTA degree you may enjoy some of the benefits of "block transfer". This is fully described in the Associate in Arts and Sciences – Direct Transfer Acrobat PDF Reader Icon. That guide lists the schools in Washington and Oregon that accept the degree as meeting their lower division general education requirements, awarding a block of 90 transfer credits. In general, universities do not do a “course-by-course” analysis of the courses used to earn the degree. However, the allowance for using non-traditional credit (options 3-8) in the DTA degree may be limited by some universities.

EvCC has many other special agreements with other colleges and universities for smooth transfer, including:

  • The Evergreen State College – Upside Down Degree for selected technical programs.
  • Central Washington University - Articulation between AAS-T in Computer Information Systems and CWU" BAS in Information Technology and Administrative Management, offered in Everett through the Everett University Center
  • University of Washington, Bothell – Agreement to transfer a specified program of studies in Nursing toward a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
  • Western Washington University/EVCC Educational Pathways – Special pathway for Education majors at EvCC.
  • University of Maryland – Acceptance of AAS-DTA as a block of 90 credits. Agreement to review Associate in Technical Arts programs for block transfer.
  • Fort Hays State University – Agreement to accept a specified plan of courses within an associate degree.
  • University of Phoenix – General transfer
  • City University – Acceptance of Associate in Technical Arts degrees as 90 credits.
  • Capella University - General Transfer

Visit our online Transfer Information Center.

To access your transcripts from a school that has closed, this site may be useful for you: 
This site contains information about schools that were located in Washington State. For schools that have closed from states other than Washington, contact that state's Board of Education.