CDS Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Am I eligible for disability services?

Reasonable and appropriate accommodations are provided to students with documented permanent or temporary physical, emotional, or sensory disabilities. Some disabilities include, but are not limited to: blindness or low vision, deafness or hearing impairments, paraplegia, attention deficit disorder, bipolar disorder, learning disabilities, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety, mobility impairments, health impairments, and many others.

Please contact Center for Disability Services if you need accommodations or have questions about your eligibility for accommodations:

Contact CDS at: phone 425.388-9272, email, or Parks Student Union #267

What do I need to do to get started?

To start receiving accommodations with CDS, please contact us (Contact CDS at: phone 425.388-9272, email, or Parks Student Union #267). To submint documentation prior to your intake appointment please see our Documentation Guidelines and Intake Procedures. Scheduling an intake appointment as soon as possible is important for setting up your accommodations, however, you can request accommodations at any point in the quarter.

What type of documentation does a student need to provide in order to receive services?

At the Center for Disability Services, we need to collect some information from you about your disability prior to offering accommodations. Documentation of your disability establishes your eligibility for services and helps determine reasonable accommodations. If you do not have information about your disability that fits what are looking for, we can meet with you to discuss your situation and assist you. Please contact us to discuss your individual situation. For more information on documentation please go to our Documentation Guidelines.

I struggled in high school and don't know if I am ready for the college experience – what should I do?

College is much different than high school and more will be expected of you. If you are not quite ready to enroll as a student, you are still welcome to make a pre-intake appointment with the Director of the Center for Disability Services office, who can help you identify areas of difficulty and discuss possible accommodations. We will introduce you to our services and accommodations, and answer any questions you may have.  Making a pre-intake appointment is a great way to get an idea of what the college experience will be like.

I don't want my instructors or peers to know about my disability – can I still use accommodations from CDS?

Of course! All information about students working with the CDS office is confidential and all matters concerning your accommodations are handled discreetly. It is up to you whether or not you would like to share this information with your instructors or peers. In some cases, it may be necessary to notify your instructor that you are working with our office. However, the information shared with your instructor would relate only to the accommodations you receive and not to the disability itself.

For notetaking services, we offer an option for you to pick up your notes weekly in the CDS office.  In this case, you will not have to get your notes directly from the notetaker in class, and he or she will not be provided with your name. Please feel free to contact the CDS office if you have other concerns regarding privacy or confidentiality.

All contact information and documentation regarding students' disabilities is kept in confidential files. Student files are destroyed seven years after the last quarter of enrollment.

I had an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan in high school but would like to try to make it on my own in college. Do I need to register with CDS?

You are not obligated to register with the CDS office just because you had an IEP or 504 Plan in high school, but many students find it helpful to get set up with our office in case accommodations are needed at a later date. Some accommodations can take several weeks to put into place, so it is better to make arrangements before the quarter begins rather than waiting until you have trouble.

Not all students who had accommodations in high school will need them in college, so it is up to you to decide if you would like to utilize accommodations. You may find that you need to use our services one quarter but are doing fine the next. Therefore, it is best to get set up with our office by submitting copies of your documentation and scheduling an intake meeting.  Because accommodations are not retroactive, submitting your documentation and scheduling an intake appointment ensures that your accommodations can be ready as soon as possible if you do decide you need them.

I don't do well in hard classes like science and math – can I just skip these?

In most cases, no. Almost every degree program offered at Everett Community College requires some type of science and math credits. Only in rare and extenuating circumstances can classes be substituted or waived. Please contact CDS if you have any questions.

While many people find math and science to be difficult subjects, there are many resources available for helping you succeed. You may benefit from tutoring or from additional classes or math support workshops such as "Overcoming Math Anxiety." You can also work with an advisor to determine what classes are best for you – often times, there are a variety of classes that will satisfy a science credit, so you may be able to find one that interests you.

I received an email asking me to be a notetaker for one of my classes – what do I need to do?

The CDS office finds notetakers for students who have difficulties taking complete notes for themselves due to their disability. While the types of disabilities vary, in most cases the students are still in class taking limited notes of their own. You are asked to take notes just as you would for yourself, and simply share a copy with the student. The student does not depend entirely on your notes, but rather uses them as a supplement to his or her own.

The CDS office provides two-part or three-part notetaking paper so that you will have a copy for yourself and for the student. Notetaking positions require attending class daily and taking notes over the entire course of the quarter. At the end of the quarter, you can receive a flat fee of $50 for your services by filling out some additional paperwork in the CDS office.

To get set up with being a notetaker, you will need to come in to the CDS office and fill out a Notetaker Agreement Form. We will also give you a brief 5-10 minute orientation and explain the process to you. This can be done anytime during CDS office hours.

What should I do when meeting a person with a disability?

Many people find meeting someone with a disability to be an awkward experience because they are afraid they will say or do the wrong thing. A positive and receptive attitude is the most important thing when learning to communicate with a person who has a disability. We are all unique human beings with varying abilities and disabilities. Be natural and talk with a person who has a disability just as you would talk with anyone else. Remember that the person who has a disability is a person first, and should not be defined solely by his or her disability. View more detailed information about interacting with people with disabilities.

What should I do if I have a complaint?

If a student is having difficulty with a person, office, or department at Everett Community College (EvCC), their first option is to meet with that person or someone from that office to discuss their concern. The student may also utilize the on-campus grievance procedures listed in the EvCC Student Rights Responsibilities & Policies.

CDS is also available to offer assistance to students and faculty by mediating problematic issues. As many problems are a result of misunderstandings, CDS is often able to assist in resolving complaints or misunderstandings quickly. CDS can also appropriately refer students to other offices or individuals who can assist with resolution. Students are welcome to contact the CDS Director if they are having difficulties or have a complaint about the CDS office. View more information on complaint mediation.

Do you have a question or concern that you don't see listed here?

Please feel free to email us at or call (425) 388-9272 voice, (425) 388-9438 tty, and we would be happy to answer it!