Tuition at Everett Community College is calculated based on your residency status. EvCC follows state regulated criteria that must be met, as well as what documents are needed to verify residency status.

Factors in Determining Residency in Washington State for U.S. citizens and permanent resident status

An individual must demonstrate residence in Washington and an intent to remain in Washington indefinitely to establish domicile in Washington state. After meeting the requirements to establish domicile, a person must continue to be domiciled in Washington state for at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes.

Establishing a Bona Fide Domicile – Residency

According to the Office of the Attorney General an individual must do everything a resident of Washington is required to do. Residency status is determined at the time your application for admission is processed.

The student must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident ("green card") or qualify for another non-citizen discount status (see Non U.S. Citizen Student section on this page). If the answers a student provides on the application indicate student is a non-resident and the student feels he/she is a resident, the student must download and submit a completed Residence Questionnaire form Acrobat PDF Reader Icon, and providing three pieces of documentation showing they meet the following guidelines:

  1. Students must prove they have established a Bona Fide Domicile in Washington State
  2. Lived in the state for a period of one year immediately prior to the first day of the quarter
  3. Supported documentation verifying legal ties:
    • Washington driver's license/Washington ID card (Required)
    • Current Resident Alien Card (if non U.S. citizen)
    • Most recent income tax returns
    • Registration of your motor vehicle in Washington State
    • Washington State voter registration card
    • Employment in Washington State
    • Bank Statement for checking/saving account indicating the date account was opened
    • Mortgage settlement document, lease/rental agreement, or rent receipts
    • Letter/receipts or benefits under Washington State public assistance programs
    • Evidence of full-time employment (employer statement indicating date of hire and full-time status)
    • Bills (utilities, credit card, cell phone, etc. of the previous calendar year)
  4. Financially independent for the current and prior calendar years

DEADLINE: Applications for reclassification in the current quarter must be submitted to the Enrollment Services office before the 30th calendar day of the quarter.
Please allow at least two weeks for processing.

Determine whether you are an Independent or Dependent student

According to RCW 28B.15.012, the term ‘resident student’ shall mean:
“Who has had a domicile in the state of Washington for the period of one year immediately prior to the time of commencement of the first day of the semester or quarter for which the student has registered at any institution and has in fact established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than educational.”

  • You have not and will not be claimed as a dependent on anyone's income tax return
  • You have not received funds from another agency which requires residency in another state

Financially Dependent Student (Students 24 years of age or younger)

“If one or both of the student’s parents or legal guardians have maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for at least one year immediately prior to commencement of the semester or quarter for which the student has registered at any institution.”

  • Your legal guardian has lived in the State of Washington for at least one year immediately prior to the start of the quarter for which you registered for classes
  • You have been claimed as a dependent on the federal income tax return of the parent of legally appointed guardian or person having legal custody in the State of Washington

You and your parent or legal guardian need to submit the Residence Questionnaire form which can be obtained at the Enrollment Services Office or by downloading the Questionnaire form here Acrobat PDF Reader Icon. Student must provide picture ID and fill out the front of the form and parent; parent or legal guardian must fill out the back of the questionnaire form and provide three pieces of documentation (dated previous year calendar) to prove they have established a bona fide domicile in Washington. Please submit the form and the items from below:

  • Parent WA State Driver's License or WA State ID Card
  • Parent Income Tax return for the previous calendar year
  • Parent Vehicle Registration
  • Parent domicile documentation - proof of presence in Washington State for the past 12 months (lease, home purchase documentation, letter from landlord)
  • Parent Bank Statement or letter indicating when account was opened
  • Parent Voter's Registration card
  • Parent Bills (utilities, credit card, cell phone, etc. of the previous calendar year)

If you have any questions, contact Residency Coordinator, Tetiana Chyrka, via email at; or by phone at (425) 388-9222; or visit Enrollment Services office located in Parks Student Union 201-A.

You cannot qualify for resident status if you or your parent hold an Out-of-State:

  • Driver's license
  • Vehicle registration or
  • Other document that gives evidence of being domiciled in another state
  • Have received, during the past year, financial assistance from another state government
  • Have been attending, during the past year, a Washington college or university as a participant in the National Student Exchange program from another state

Please Note:

  • The parent portion of the above statement is only applicable if you are claimed as a dependent of that parent for federal tax purposes

Non-U.S. Citizen Student

The fact that an individual is a citizen of another country does not automatically disqualify that person from establishing domicile in Washington. If you are not a U.S. Citizen you will need to present your immigration documentation to the institution. Your immigration status must be confirmed prior to establishing Washington State resident status or determining if you qualify for a non-resident tuition reduction. Non-citizen independent students must provide a copy of one of the following:

  • Current Permanent Resident Alien Card, front and back (may qualify for resident tuition after 1 year in Washington State. Prior to 1 year may qualify for tuition reduction.)
  • Current I-94 Departure Record stamped with either "temporary I-551 "Refugee-Asylee Status,or Parole" (may qualify for non-resident tuition reduction.)
  • Non-U.S. citizens who hold E, H, or L Visas. The resident parent or legal guardian or a dependent non-citizen student must provide a copy of their immigration status document as well (May qualify for resident tuition after 1 year in Washington State.)
  • All other visa types (including B, C, D, F, J, and M) please contact International Programs at (425) 388-9289
  • Complete the HB 1079 Affidavit, if the student meets the Affidavit qualifications. Contact Tetiana Chyrka in Enrollment Services for the Affidavit.

“Non-Resident student” “shall mean any student who does not qualify as a “resident student” under the provisions of this section and RCW 28B.15.013, a non-resident student shall include:”

  • A student attending an institution with the aid of financial assistance provided by another state or governmental unit or agency, thereof, such non-residency continuing for one year after the completion of such quarter

Absence due to educational purposes only

For all Washington residents who had attended an out-of-state college or university, they need to submit the Residence Questionnaire form along with additional documentation.

  • Proof that they had a bona fide domicile in Washington prior to leaving the state
  • Proof from the out-of-state college or university demonstrating they paid non-resident tuition. If it was a private school, provide verification of enrollment
  • Proof of maintaining all ties with Washington State (See list of documents - above)

If you have questions contact Residency Coordinator, Tetiana Chyrka, via email at; or by phone at (425) 388-9222, or visit Enrollment Services office located in Parks Student Union 201-A. All other students are considered to be non-residents for tuition-paying purposes.

Military Personnel and Veterans

You may be eligible to pay resident tuition as an active duty member of the military or Washington National guard or as a member’s spouse or dependent. Qualifying students need to submit military orders or their sponsor’s orders and military ID (front only). The one year of continuous domicile in Washington is not required for military members and for dependent claiming domicile through the military member. 

Effective July 24, 2015,  a student who has separated from the uniformed services with any period of honorable service with at least 90 days of active duty of service, and who enters an institution of higher education in Washington within three years of separation, is eligible to pay resident tuition in Washington. Qualifying students need to provide a copy of their DD-214 form. If Home of Record or Mailing Address After Separation is outside of Washington state, students need to prove their ties to Washington (Washington state ID and vehicle registration).  

Please visit Residency Page for Military Personnel and Vetarans for more information.

Special Note: U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have not yet gained residency in Washington State may be eligible for a partial tuition reduction.